For a web designing company to continuously thrive despite the shifting trends and requirements of creating sellable, engaging graphics for brand advertising, the first and most logical course of action is to implement upgrades while pushing designers to enhance their craft. But, as the designers’ knowledge and experiences expand, it is inevitable that there are certain techniques adapted that do more harm than good to the effectiveness of the service.
Without forgetting its core principles, web designing services should remain relevant by assimilating broad accessibility across multiple devices and making technological modernization at the center of its overall layout.
In other words, designing the visual message should be on-point, on-brand, and timely.
So how can this be accomplished?
There is a long list of outdated, ineffective practices that designers should eliminate to deliver more commendable and efficient web design services, and these are:
- Forgetting your target audience when designing—The first step to crafting a successful design is knowing the basics of who your target audience is, where their individual lifestyles revolve, what products they use, where they come from and what their age is. When you take the time to discover the group of people you are designing for, it will be easier to pinpoint which design techniques and styles would respond best to your end-users.
- Using rasterized images over vector graphics—Although vector and raster format images each have their own pros and cons, vectors are more preferred because contrary to raster or bitmap graphics, these images can be scaled to any sizes without compromising the quality of the image.
- Flattening photoshop file— When the images used for a design are merged into one layer, the tendency is for the entire library of images to be flattened. As a result, it will be harder to revise, edit, or resize the images separately in the future.
- Incompatible and inconsistent font types, sizes, and color schemes— Fonts and colors are very crucial in creating a positive impact to your audience. Web visitors absolutely dislike inconsistent font types and colors that seem haphazardly plastered together just to make a website. In this regard, choosing fonts like Comic Sans, Papyrus, and Curlz MT may not be appropriate for your client or business as these font types do not really exude professionalism nor does it project a sharp image of competence for your brand.
- A lack of understanding for proper web design typography— Typography is a vital element to ensuring a particular target audience remains engaged with the content published on a business website. This means that the fonts should exhibit sufficient contrast with the background color, have spaces adequately placed and adjusted between characters, have carefully arranged leading and ample lengths for each line of text. This is also applicable in content placement because it ensures the text flawlessly fits in different screen sizes and device types. When executed properly, typography helps boost the overall look and impact of your web design services.
- Excessive effects or cluttered animations – Gone are the days of unnecessary special effects on websites to gauge the attention of visitors. Often times, when the animation and effects implemented on a page are used in excess or do not complement each other, customers get annoyed instead of enticed. In relation to that, using background music in homepages is long outdated as well. If you want to add effects for added appeal, make sure it is simple, chic and seamlessly executed.
- Failure to use white space to your advantage— White space or the portion in a webpage that’s left unmarked or occupied by any text or image can deliver the perfect balance of space. It produces the perfect harmony between the colors, images, and text that you use.
- Site navigation is not well thought-of— An excellently designed website must allow the audience to zone in easily on the message that the page wants to convey while helping them gauge what a particular brand is really all about. Loading time of each page must be fast, and links or pages should not open on multiple separate windows. Not only that, the audience must also be able to find their way across the different pages—from the homepage to the services page to the contact form without hassle. A lot of web designers disregard the importance of a search box’s proper placement. What they don’t realize is the search box plays a vital role in customer experience, in that it allows them to find specific information on the website more easily.
- Investing in bad content and discounting the importance of proofreading— Quality content effectively enhances a business’ credibility. Websites that possess excellent and engaging content that’s properly arranged in each page makes the design standout more while increasing traffic and conversion. Always double-check for typos, grammatical errors, and misspelled words to ensure the text in the website is error-free.
- Designing without SEO and analytics in mind— Websites need to be developed in such a way that it can be constantly upgraded to meet the standards of the latest algorithms of major search engines such as Bing, Google, and Yahoo. This will help search engines determine the relevancy of your website based on what services or products customers seek. Analytics, on the other hand, provides significant metrics for websites, which in turn, assist business owners in assessing whether they are meeting their key objectives or not.
- Presence of broken links and dead ends— Pages that redirect as “404 error”, links that are not working, as well as the absence of links that drive the site visitor back to the homepage will surely drive people mad and diminish the likelihood that they will revisit the website.
- The business’ contact information is not easily viewable, and calls to action are not integrated— The placement of a business’ contact information must be carefully strategized otherwise it could appear too small or end up being ignored by site visitors. But when the contact details are placed on a separate page, or somewhere it is easily visible on the page, it will also be easier to include a call to action to the overall design.
Committing mistakes in web design is not new.
It is part of the growth that comes with an industry highly dependent on creativity and progressiveness. But, by keeping in mind the errors that must be avoided in web design services, more strategic designs are produced. Moreover, higher conversions, better customer experience, and increased reliability and competence will be met by businesses without fail.